Sunday, September 7, 2008

Yogamole Potato Salad

I came up with this yummy salad yesterday. After a quick inventory of what was in the fridge, as well as having a very ripe avocado on hand, I thought I would try subbing guacamole for a traditional potato salad dressing. We loved it! The only drawback to making this is that you should only make what you need for the meal since guac really doesn't keep well. Also, you put this together right before serving. I boiled the potatoes earlier in the day and kept them whole in the fridge. When I was ready to dress them I brought them out and let them sit about 15 minutes and then cut them into about 1/2" slices. If you want to cut into dices or wedges, feel free, whatever turns you on. I use green onion in my guac because I am not a fan of raw onions. I also used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, which is what I had on hand. We had this for dinner with some grilled chicken brats, yum!

Yogamole Potato Salad
serves 4-6

1.5 # of small white potatoes (about 6)
1 ripe avocado, diced
1/2 tsp kosher flake salt (seems like a lot, but the potatoes need it)
1 1/2 tbl lime juice (1 lime)
1/2 cup chopped, seeded tomato (1 small)
1 1/2 tbl chopped green onion (green and white parts)
1 tbl chopped cilantro (at least, be generous)
1/2 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt

Place whole potatoes in a pan of cold water to cover by 1". Bring to a boil and cook until a sharp knife will just slide through, about 20 minutes. Drain and cool completely. They can be refrigerated at this point.

When ready to serve, cut the potatoes into 1/2" slices.

In a medium bowl, place the avocado, cut into dices, and the salt. Using a fork, mash the avocado, leaving a few small chunks. Add the lime juice, tomato, green onion, and cilantro, stir to mix. Then add the yogurt and mix thoroughly. Toss the potatoes in and stir gently, coating the potatoes with the guac, being careful not to break them up. Adjust seasoning if needed and serve with a bit of cilantro sprinkled on top.





2 comments:

kat said...

fabulous idea, my hubby would love this!

Anonymous said...

Love the name! Stretching and tranquility for underground tunnellers... And the recipe's pretty good, too!! :)