Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Apple Cake-WWW



Here is a quick little Apple Cake that I found for this week's Weight Watcher Wednesday recipe. After a search for recipes that included apples, I found this recipe at OES.org (Everything About Old English Sheepdogs). Isn't it crazy where you can find things on the Internet? Apparently, they started a thread of Weight Watcher recipes. There are quite a few on the site, so I have a fun new source for ideas. What is funny (coincidence?), is that when I was young, we had an Old English Sheepdog, Shakespeare, my dad's dog. What a great dog he was, as little girls, we loved brushing that long hair. More fun brushing than Barbie's locks. I have fond memories of him laying on his side while we laid our heads on him, like a pillow, and watched the Partridges and the Bradys. Anyway, back to the cake!

I was looking for an apple recipe so that I could use my Ginger Gold Apples which I bought at The Hahn Farm. This one looked pretty yummy and besides, I had all the ingredients on hand. I am baking it early since it is to get a bit hot today. I am sure this would be a good recipe for peaches or even perhaps strawberries. The vanilla and cinnamon really enhance the flavor of the apples. The cake would be very good either as a breakfast cake with a bit of fat-free yogurt or a mid afternoon snack with a glass of sun tea.

Apple Cake
8 servings
3 points per serving

2 large eggs
½ cup sugar
¼ cup fat free milk
2 Tbsp. light butter, melted
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup self rising flour, sifted
1 ½ Tbsp. cornstarch
1 large Ginger Gold apple, peeled, cored and sliced
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. sugar

Notes: I did not have an 8" pan, only a 9" so the baking time will be adjusted a bit. Also, I only had all-purpose flour. The substitution for self-rising is 1 cup of all-purpose, minus 2 tsp plus 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder and 1/2 tsp of salt.



Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat an 9" inch round cake pan with cooking spray.

Beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in milk, melted butter and vanilla extract.

Combine flour and cornstarch and fold into the cake batter. Pour mixture into prepared pan.



Arrange apple slices on top of cake, sprinkle with combined cinnamon and sugar. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a knife or metal skewer comes out clean.



Can't eat that many servings at once, or too tempting to have on hand? Just wrap well with cling film and freeze!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, what a strange place to find the recipe - looks really good though!

Anonymous said...

WOW - What great photos on your blog! I love them - real inspiration.

kat said...

sounds like a wonderful breakfast cake & you're right I can see if perfectly with peaches too.

Ron said...

Only thing stranger is finding an apple cake recipe from my website about Old English Sheepdogs on a recipe site! :D :D :D We ARE mostly about Sheepies, but we have a few other things we like to chat about, too.

THANK YOU for the link back. I'll let Gail know you liked it!

Beautifully done! I'm glad you enjoyed!

Ron