Thursday, May 29, 2008

Banana Mango Bread

The new coffeemaker has arrived! After researching via the internet we purchased a Cuisinart Brew Central . It fit our coffee needs, price and style categories, and, I got it for 20% off at Bed Bath and Beyond with a coupon from a magazine! To launch it in style, I baked a loaf of Banana Mango Bread. The original recipe is from a Cooking Light recipe. I made a few changes to come up with a lowfat alternative with a great mango twist (I think I am still stuck on mango from the past food challenges). The coffeemaker brewed a terrific cup, the bread was moist and spicy and the morning was clear and warm. What a great start to our day!

Mango Banana Bread

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tbsp canola oil
2 large eggs
2 ripe bananas
1 mango
1/3 cup 0% fat greek yogurt
1/2 tsp ground cardamom



Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the flours, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.

Place sugars, applesauce and oil in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute) This is what the recipe called for, I just used a whisk because I was too lazy to pull out the mixer. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Place the banana and mango in a food processor and pulse to a rough puree (you could just mash the banana and dice the mango if you wish). Add banana mango mixture, sour cream, and cardamom to the sugar-egg bowl; beat or stir until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed or stir in just until moist. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan (my pan was a tad smaller) coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. The side should begin to pull away and a nice crack will develop on the top. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool bread completely on wire rack (if you can wait that long).

I served it with a bit of light cream cheese on top, I mean it was the weekend.

6 comments:

Deana said...

I just came across your blog this morning, so I haven't tried out any of your recipes yet but many look fantastic. The photos are great, and there's a sweet quality about your writing. Thanks for the "comfort" blog.

Anonymous said...

blimey!
that must smell amazing. i wouldn't think the two flavours would go together..actually more like i wouldn't have any confidence in my abilities to put the two flavours together but u've convinced me. i'm gonna try this and make it for my mum since those 2 fruit are her most adored!

thanks
x

Clumbsy Cookie said...

It looks so moist!

test it comm said...

Mango bread sounds really good!

Patreesha said...

Hi there!

I actually tried making this yesterday and want to thank you for a fantastic recipe!

I didn't have pre-made applesauce, so I grated 1 small gala apple with a cheese grater, and it worked out great!

I made one addition of a generous heaping of cinnamon, and did not use a mixer (only used a whisk).

The flavor is very strong of banana, with a little mango to pick up the possible heaviness. The bread is dense, moist, and wonderful with tea. I may add some walnuts next time.

One thing I noticed is there's a few small typos in your measurements. I doubt it should say "12 cups of brown sugar"!

Anyway, a fantastic, low-fat, yummy recipe. Thank you for sharing it! :)

Anonymous said...

Really good recipe. I thought it would be over-sweet and there would be too much cardamom. However, the balance was very good, it was not too sweet, and the mango and bananas were not cloying. Good blend of flavors. I added vanilla and toasted pecans. Good stuff!