Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Farmers' Market Report: Sandusky Farmers' Market & Chicken and Goat Cheese Pasta with Peas

Finally, my first trip to a Farmers' Market! The market closest to my home that is up and running is the Sandusky Farmers' Market. Right now it is a bit small, the season is just beginning. There will be more veggies offerings later in July when local crops begin to ripen. What they had to offer was nice and I certainly came home with a bounty of goodies.

My first stop was with Heywood Gardens.
She had already sold out of many items but still
had some beautiful shelled peas.

















Next, was the larger set up, off the truck, from Bergman Orchard. There I picked up raspberries, sugar peas, limes (10 for $1.00!), rhubarb, kale (50cents a bunch!), beets, yellow squash and zucchini. Their peaches, which are to die for, are not quite ready yet. I may go to Lakeside to one of their stores after the 4th and load up. I just love the people drawn to these markets and took a few shots.























Last stop was with "Chicken Pete" at the Wolfe Poultry table. He sells fresh chicken and duck eggs as well as frozen chicken from his farm. I could not resist the duck eggs. Not sure how I will use them, but why not give it a go? I also purchased a package of nice looking boneless, skinless chicken breast, only after talking with him about how he farms.
























Here is a picture of my haul from today. How can you go wrong cooking with all of these great colors and textures? In my book, you can't. I will be a weekly regular either at this market or another. I'm just glad to see them back!


Chicken and Goat Cheese Pasta with Peas
serves 4

2 tbl unsalted butter
2 tbl olive oil
1# boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 1/2 cup roughly chopped Roma tomatoes
1 cup fresh peas
3 oz goat cheese
6.5 oz pasta (This is not exact, I used half a box of Barilla Whole Grain Penne. Use whatever you like or have on hand).
s&p

Heat the butter and oil together over medium high heat in a large pan. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on the chicken and add to the hot pan. Saute the chicken for 2-3 minutes then add the thyme. I just dropped it in whole and then fished out the stems before adding the pasta, but you could take it off the stem and chop if you wish. When the chicken is about half done, add the chopped tomatoes, and drop the pasta and the peas into salted boiling water, cooking til the pasta is just al dente. Just before the pasta is done, add about 1/4 cup of the hot pasta water to the goat cheese and stir it up to soften and loosen the cheese. Remove the pasta and peas with a spider or slotted utensil. Add both to the chicken tomato pan, toss, then add the cheese. Stir til combined, season to taste and serve.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I simply adore fresh peas - the recipe looks delicious. Love the photo, makes you just want to be there too!

Esi said...

Congrats on your first Farmer's Market! You may find that it will become kind of an addiction :)

maybelles mom said...

Oh, this looks like a nice grass roots market.